Free animal hood crochet pattern!
Recently I was asked to make an animal hood/balaclava for a friends little guy. I searched and searched for a pattern I liked, but there was always something I would change or it was knit instead of crochet. I ended up making my own pattern and it was a huge hit at my most recent trade show and private orders since then.
With all the free patterns I’ve used in the past I wanted to give back and share this one for free!
This pattern is for 6-12 months, I will add other sizes later on!
- I/5.50mm (I used5.25mm)crochet hook
- Worsted weight Yarn (Vanna’s Choice by Lion Brand is my go to)
- Tapestry needle, to sew in ends
- Row 1: HDC in 2nd back bump from the hook, and in all bumps across
- Row 2: CH 1, turn, HDC across (26sts)
- Row 3-16: Repeat row 2 fourteen more times (16rows total of 26st)
- Row 17: CH 1, turn, HDC 24, sc in next (leave last st)
- Row 18: CH 1, turn, Sl st in sc, HDC across
- Row 19: CH 1, turn, HDC 22, sc in next
- Row 20: CH 1, turn, HDC across (20sts)
- Row 21: CH 1, turn, 2HDC in first st, HDC to end
- Row 22: CH 1, turn, HDC to last st, 2HDC in last.
- Row 23: Repeat row 21 (23sts)
- Row 24: Repeat row 22 (24sts)
- Row 25: Repeat row 21 (25sts)
- Row 26: Repeat row 22 (26sts)
- Row 27: CH 1, turn, HDC across
- Row 28-40: Repeat row 27.
- Fasten off.
- CH 1, HDC in first st, HDC2Tog, HDC to end, CH4, HDC in first st on the other side of hood (pictured), HDC to 4th st from the end, HDC2Tog, HDC in last st. join with sl st.
- CH 1, turn, HDC around, making 4 HDCs in the CH 4 space. Sl st to join.
- CH 1, turn, 2 HDC in first st, HDC around, Sl st to join. Repeat row until desired length, I usually do 6-8 more rows, depending on Yarn amount. Fasten off, weave in ends.
**Option to add ears or not, either way is cute! I’ve done pointed cat ears as well.
Ears: make 2 for monkey or bear looking hats
- CH 1, HDC 7 in loop, join with Sl st.
- CH 1, (HDC in first st, 2 HDC in next), repeat 2 more times
- CH 1, turn, HDC in first 3 sts, 2 HDC in next, HDC, 2 HDC in next, HDC last 3 sts.
- Fasten off with long tail to attach to hood.
*~* I ask that if make and sell products from my patterns that you please link back to my post. Please do not copy and claim this pattern as your own and please do not re-publish photo’s as your own.*~*